Monday, August 25, 2008

Its been a while but I am back

I apologize to everyone that it has been so long since I have posted a new entry. Life kinda took over for a while. For those of you who dont know my grandfather passed away at the very end of the July. It was something that was expected for a while now not that it makes it any easier when it happens. After that I wasnt feeling really inspired to do anything much less blog. I did do a little traveling around locally and took the kids and some pictures. So now that I have explained my absence lets get on to the topic of the week.


Backgrounds

I see a lot of people asking what background to use or which one is best. The answer is not so black and white(god I kill myself sometimes). At any rate I am going to give you guys my input on choosing the right background for your items.

As far as back grounds go there is only one rule I can come up with that should always be considered. That would be DONT ALLOW YOUR BACKGROUND TO COMPETE WITH YOUR ITEM As long as you remember that one little gem you should be ok. To many times I see items that get lost in the back grounds. Beautiful items that just disappear because of the background they are on.

Another thing to keep in mind is that it doesnt have to be a white or black background. Most of us know what the color wheel is but do you know how to use it?



The great thing about the color wheel is that it can pick out back ground colors for us. Depending on your likes and dislikes. There are many different options to choosing a color scheme but I am only going to cover the two most popular. Complementary and Analogous.

Complementary color scheme involves using colors that are directly across the color wheel from each other. This creates a dramatic statement and POP. See the example below. Examples would be blue and orange, purple and yellow, and red and green.

Analogous color schemes are basically a color scheme that ties in two or three colors that are next to each other on the color wheel such as red orange, orange and orange yellow. These are generally more pleasing and harmonious to the eye. They are more relaxing.

Of course these are not the only acceptable backgrounds you can use almost anything as a background the only thing I would say is stay away from anything that competes with, hides or camouflages your item.

One more thing... I would like to thank Marnyt of www.marnyt.etsy.com for the fantastic feedback she gave me.

4 comments:

Robin@creations-anew.com said...

Thanks great advice...you have beautiful photography
Robin
http://www.creations-anew.com

cindy said...

Glad you're back Mike. Thanks for this blog post. Really helpful and informative (about the use of colors.) Looking forward to more!
Cindy
http://www.devinedesignsjewelry.etsy.com

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this! I'll have to try differetn colored backgrounds, maybe that will also help my lighting issues and help liven up my shop a bit ;)

ourgreatgreenglobe said...

sorry to hear about your grandfather! it is hard to loose someone important in your life.